Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Just Checking

Yesterday as I was leaving Trader Joe’s, a woman on the sidewalk said to me, “Can you tell me if my mascara is running? I’ve just come out of the garden and I can’t go in there if my face is a mess.”

This was a perfect stranger, who was probably at least 50 and not a terribly attractive person. I took a quick look at her face and couldn’t see any black smudges so I assured her she was fine and she went right in.

Then I stopped to wonder why anyone would care about something like runny mascara when shopping at Trader Joe’s. Was she hoping to meet a hot date? Would it have mattered as much if it were Borders or Petco?

I love the idea of talking to strangers, but there must be something more meaningful to talk about!

2 Comments:

Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

She knew she could trust you to tell her the truth.

I don't like going out to pick up the paper looking bad, but you know me, I'm vain. Wouldn't think of entering Trader Joe's without checking my lipstick, fluffing up my hair, now would I.

Is my mascara running, Barbara? Because I have to go get my teeth cleaned now and I want to look good at the dentist's!! (laughing)

8:50 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I don't even wear makeup. The whole "is my face a mess?" thing is alien to me. You do seem awfully trustworthy, though. I'd ask you to check my teeth after lunch.

10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home