Monday, November 03, 2008

Coming Home to Vote

Our Chicago trip was just about perfect. We were on the go most of the time and came home absolutely exhausted, but I started to get the flavor of a city I knew little about before our visit. I’m anxious to go back and take the architect’s tour again. I’d also like to visit Frank Lloyd Wright’s Robie House. But first I want to read Loving Frank to learn more about this talented but complicated man.

My scarf (above) is about half done after spending about 24 hours in a car on our road trip. For me knitting is always an exercise in patience, something in which I am sorely lacking. It’s now almost 2 feet long.

An interesting observation: My husband flew home from Chicago today, changing planes in Detroit. He left the Self Help Home at 6:30 this morning. My friends and I drove the 700 miles, leaving at 6:00. I walked in the door at 6:45 this evening just two hours after he did, and I can guarantee my trip was less stressful than his. I kept possession of my Swiss Army Knife and my water bottle. And I was limited in what I could take only by the size of our car.

In response to a request on yesterday’s post, here is what my husband read from Aunt Zelda’s essay (of 10 years ago when she was 90) entitled “My Keys to Well-Being”:
***********************************************************************
The key to knowing the inner self is another very important source of well-being, as that is where the real beauty lies, the beautiful feeling where one can find Peace, a priceless commodity. When there is peace within oneself, that feeling is transferred to all human relationships and is welcomed like the first flower of spring, giving both the giver and recipient a good feeling consisting of love and understanding.

One of the greatest benefits of possessing this valuable key to well-being throughout the various cycles of life is reflected so favorably in the elder years. At this time of life, when health issues of aging become apparent, not to be burdened by troubled feelings is of tremendous importance. Then the golden years are an asset rather than a liability and can be enjoyed by being gracious, loving, and contributing much of life’s rich experiences.
***********************************************************************

Tonight I have that feeling of anticipation I always used to have as a child on Christmas eve. I’m going to bed soon so I can be at the polls when they open tomorrow. I am surely hoping for the gift of a new administration!

7 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

Gorgeous scarf. Great job, Barbara! Can you believe it's tomorrow already? Today, by the time you read this. In just two days, we'll be reading to the kids and the world will be a different place.

11:05 PM  
Blogger Mo said...

Love the scarf!! I'm usually never up quite this late, but I'm so excited about voting tomorrow that I can't sleep. Whew. I need to calm down.

(Glad you had such a great time in Chi!)

12:03 AM  
Blogger lettuce said...

i'm quite excited over here!

thinking of all of you

3:10 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

This is your big day! But we are six hours (at least) ahead of you, so we have to be more patient still! But all will turn out well. Just go on knitting. It will help you keep calm, and in the end you have something beautiful!

3:31 AM  
Blogger Pauline said...

thanks for sharing - the scarf is beautiful, as are Zelda's comments.

hope we wake tomorrow better off than we've been for the last 8 years!

6:59 AM  
Blogger e said...

Loved Aunt Zelda's comments and can't wait to see the finished scarf! Cross your fingers!

10:29 AM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

i went to Chicago when I was 11.
it was 1968.
We went to Shedds Aquarium and the Museum of Science and Industry,and spent the night in a hotel. When we went to dinner, ity was at a puppet Theatre and we saw 'julius ceasar done with Marionettes. Then we went and saw my brother in Champain (sp) and the next morning they had all the hippies on TV that had been rioting right where we had been the day before. Then we came back to Texas.


I'm glad they didn't have any hippie riots while you were there.

11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home