Saturday, November 08, 2008

Searching for the Perfect Life

I would guess that each of us could name a handful of things we would like to change in our lives. Yesterday as I drove to a doctor’s appointment, I found myself sorting my life into two lists – those things that I’m happy with and those that if given the chance I might want to change.

Fortunately the contented list is the longer of the two. It contains things like:

– The same partner for the past 35 years, a relationship marked by compatibility when it comes to fidelity, morality, money, discipline of dogs and children (we’re both lacking it), and sexual desire (we both still have it).
– Two children who, although they are still finding their way in life, are no longer dependent on us and who seem reasonably happy.
– Enough money to live comfortably and travel a couple of times a year.
– Health insurance that gives me peace of mind when I get sick.
– A religion that comes with an extremely interesting congregation, many of whom are now our friends.
– A comfortable house that is mostly paid for.
– A metabolism that keeps my weight fairly stable.
– A dog who adores me.
– A love of music and many ways to express it.
– Doctors who help me stay healthy.
– Lots of friends.
– and on and on and on.

Now for the list of what I might like that I don’t currently have:

– Good balance and an even gait that would allow me to walk long distances without the fear of falling down or falling behind.
– Real answers as to why my gait is so peculiar.
– A figure that looks more like an adult than a 12-year-old girl.
– Skin that doesn’t keep punishing me for sunbathing with cocoa butter on the Florida beaches as a teenager.
– A healthy attitude toward deep water that would allow me to swim without fear of drowning.
– Flexibility so that I could do yoga better and more easily.
– A bigger family.
– A couple of broken friendships repaired.

I have a certain level of acceptance of these things that may well be permanent. At some point it seems more important to give longing a backseat to gratitude. But we are periodically reminded of our deficiencies. That’s just human nature.

11 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

I don't think I've ever made a list of the things I would change. I should - maybe I'd actually change some of them. If I could. We did have to write our own eulogies in college and it made me want to live my life to make it true.

8:11 AM  
Blogger Aileen said...

Beautiful post. You are blessed Barbara. And as humans I'm not sure our wish list would ever go away. As items get fulfilled, new ones show up...

8:46 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

Interesting. It is nice how you understand that the things you have are really so good and outweighing the lacking things by far. But I also agree that it is quite okay to have some longing left (and I suppose there are some things that you haven`t mentioned). Never mind. Allow yourself to be in for some surprises, and enjoy what comes your way. Try to repair those old friendships (if they are worth it, some aren`t), and be open to new ones. On the whole your life seems really good to me! Perfect? - I guess it can only be perfect in single moments. And what I also think important is to pass some of your own happiness (or luck?) on.

8:49 AM  
Blogger e said...

Wow. Great postings. You are right to put gratitude ahead of longing, but I can think of ways that a larger family is possible, though not in the traditional sense. Life is all about seeing things in new ways, isn't it?

11:50 AM  
Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

very interesting post.

here's to an ever growing 'happy list' and crossing off those items on list #2!

2:09 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

You really are in a good place, given the extensive first list and the shorter second one. I've never thought to make lists like this -- maybe I should try it. But what if I want to change EVERYTHING? (Gulp!)

2:26 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- I think you are fueling another post. It's very interesting to think about how one would like to be remembered.

Aileen -- I am very fortunate and for the most part content. But we all think about greener grass from time to time.

Angela -- I'm sure my lists will evolve with time. I do hope I can share my good fortune with others along the way.

E -- I'm definitely using friends to stand in for the family I don't have. I have several older women friends who make good surrogate mothers.

Mouse -- Maybe I'll sign up for swimming lessons. That's the one thing on the second list that I might be able to do something about.

Steve -- It's an interesting exercise. I can guarantee you will not want to change everything about your life. It seems to me that you are active, happy, and gainfully employed for starters.

4:04 PM  
Blogger Lori ann said...

I love making lists too. I agree that you are lucky your contented list is the one with the most on it. You have reminded me of the bucket list. That would be fun to do too. I think though that Relationships are always at the top and it seems you have that :)
xx

2:30 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Loriann -- I agree with you on the importance of relationships. I could never exist in isolation.

9:13 AM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Our lists are all relative. I think most people would be able to negate your 2nd list if they had all you have on the first!
You are extremely blessed.
As you get older, your list may change and time alone does heal hurt feelings from lost friendships.

10:20 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

MOI -- I hope you are right about time healing hurt feelings from lost friendships.

2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home