Thursday, November 06, 2008

Stolen News


Who goes around stealing newspapers? Yesterday I wished I had an answer to that question.

Every now and then our paper turns up missing. My husband always claims that someone stole it. I laugh and say, “Nobody steals newspapers.” He calls and asks for it to be redelivered and a couple of hours later we are reading the news.

But yesterday was different. I was so anxious to read all about Obama’s big win, but when our paper wasn’t there by 8 a.m., I was fairly certain it wasn’t coming. I called and did all of the necessary things to get it redelivered. But no paper came. My husband called and a recording said it would be here by noon.

At 1:00 we were getting fairly miffed. He called again, this time speaking to a live person who said there were no more papers to be delivered because they had run out. She suggested going out and buying one. He reminded her that we had already paid for a paper.

After dealing with this all day long, someone finally brought us a paper around 9:00 p.m. By that time the news was good and old. But we savored it anyway, never being so happy to see the Washington Post.

I heard they had to reprint the New York Times yesterday, something that rarely happens. The country was hungry to read about the history that had been made on election day.

The Post guy agreed to have our paper delivered to our front door from now on instead of thrown onto the end of our driveway. Guess that message never got passed on to the person who actually delivers it, because it was there on the driveway today. Maybe the thief is still working on yesterday’s paper.

8 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

You might not have been able to go out and buy one, even if you tried. The lines were long and places sold out. People wanted to keep a momento of this monumental election. I wish I had one; though, I wouldn't have stolen it. I'll just have to keep my copy of Time.

9:17 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- I'm not much of a keeper of memorabilia. But this is one thing I may well keep.

9:43 AM  
Blogger Lemmonex said...

I was in awe of all the lines at the news stands. I am not a memento person, but I understood it.

11:19 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Lemmonex -- I'm glad to see this country recognizing history being made!

1:17 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

The degree of demand for newspapers yesterday was unbelievable. Even this morning, people were lined up in the lobby of the Times building to buy them. All of our papers reprinted thousands of extra copies.

2:03 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Steve -- What are all these people doing otherwise -- reading online or not at all?

10:12 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

They might well be reading online. I know I read the NY Times and Boston Globe online, as well as my local newspaper. I have no constructive use for a used newspaper - no fireplace, no wood cookstove. My cottage is so small there's no place to store them and it seems a waste to just toss them in the landfill. (I must confess I do still have two Saturday Evening Posts telling of the death of JFK.)

7:01 AM  
Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

wednesday's paper is a collector's item - I wonder what the real story is about why your paper was missing!

I asked my mom to save me the washington post for me to keep as a memento!

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home