Sunday, August 09, 2009

Blogging Nostalgia


We looked around the crowd of perhaps 25 DC Bloggers who had come out for the happy hour at Evolve1817. I asked Malnurtured Snay how many he thought would still be writing in 5 years and he said, “5". I agreed with him.

I thought about my first happy hour over 4 years ago. I had entered Eyebar somewhat reluctantly, knowing full well I wouldn’t know even one of those 20- and 30-somethings throwing down the drinks and talking about Blogging. The first face I met was DC Cookie, who quickly introduced me to Kathryn and Rhinestone Cowgirl. I had a long talk with Direct Current about Statcounters. I met Pat, the guy who had started DC Blogs and the gaggle of girls talking to him, whom I later learned included Velvet in Dupont.

I realized that not many of the people I met back then are still writing regularly. I can think of only Kristin, Jamy, and Reya. That’s not entirely true. Jessica (who was anonymously DC Cookie) moved to Stream of Jessica and now writes Sweet Baby Jack, chronicling the life of her new baby boy.

I have mixed feelings about the Blogger happy hours I have attended over the years, never because people weren’t extremely friendly, but rather because I usually have such a hard time hearing to make conversation in a bar. But it usually happens that I take home one new link to add to my list and it’s usually a keeper. Like Media Concepts, whom I met shortly before he moved to LA.

So for the most part the crowd at Evolve was about the same age as those I met at my first happy hour, but almost entirely different people. I was warmly greeted by Lemmonex, a “sponsor” and someone I had met prior to the happy hour. I finally got to meet LiLu and Restaurant Refugee. Unfortunately I just missed Lacochran, but instead got to meet Gilahi, someone who knows her quite well. I met Malnurtured Snay, after reading his snarky comments for years. On the way out I discovered KassyK sitting just outside the fray of Bloggers. She had a big hug for me as we quickly covered the time since we had last met, vowing to get together with Jessica to meet Sweet Baby Jack.

I felt a bit like Cinderella as I suddenly dashed out, almost sprinting to get to my car before I added another hour onto the already hefty parking lot fee.

I wonder if I will be one of the 5 still writing in 5 years. Will you?

13 Comments:

Blogger tut-tut said...

I haven't been much around the blog world this summer. Sorry to have missed keeping up!

1:12 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

We move in less than a month! So...I'll bring Jack out to meet you as soon as I can!

1:38 PM  
Blogger media concepts said...

I don't know if I'll still be blogging. I didn't know 5 years before I started blogging that I would be doing so. Maybe there will be something better and different by then.

2:59 PM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

I don't know whether I will still be blogging five years from now. I started blogging so that I would be able to look back on this particular phase of my existence without having it all go up in smoke, hoping that I could gain some hindsight or whatever. Recently I find myself posting mostly about silly little pleasantries, which is not very realistic or thought-provoking, but it is kind of fun. It cheers me up and entertains my friends. So maybe I'll keep doing it even after my personal need for it goes away. Who knows?

I've sort of decided that I should go to a blogger happy hour one of these years before I stop because as of right now, 100% of the bloggers that I've met in person have been just as interesting and wonderful as they were on their blogs. (That would be you, so far!)

3:53 PM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

I've only met two other bloggers. I plan to continue blogging until I stop.

8:48 PM  
Blogger Lemmonex said...

You dashed out so fast...sorry we didn't talk more, but I loved seeing you.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

How cool that you have a blogger group - I'm not a group person so probably would not attend one even if there was such a thing here. In fact, I've not met one blogger in person. As for blogging in five years - who knows? I enjoy it now...

8:25 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

It's always fun to meet other bloggers. Ironically I know more bloggers in DC than in New York! As for what will happen in five years, who knows?

9:18 AM  
Blogger rachaelgking said...

I think about that a lot... and I really, really hope so.

Again, so nice to meet you. :-)

10:44 AM  
Anonymous restaurant refugee said...

It was my pleasure to have met you.

I have no idea if I will still be writing this blog in five years, but I do know that I will be writing something... if for no other reason than I always have.

By the by, I do wish that you and I had been able to spend more time chatting with you.

3:32 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Sounds like a good night. I hope I'm still blogging in five years, but who knows?! Maybe not every day?

6:05 AM  
Blogger bozoette said...

Well, so far it's been close to 7 years blogging for me -- I hope I'll continue for the next 5! I will have to get to a happy hour one of these days.

12:52 PM  
Blogger KassyK said...

It was so wonderful to see you. I had not attended a happy in years--and I used to host them!

Being there was kind of an experiment for me--not really being any part of the blog scene anymore, I was curious what it would be like.

I went to see my dear friends LiLu and Lemm but getting to see you was such a surprise and such a pleasure.

I have been blogging for 3 years but after all the drama...I cannot imagine I would still be blogging in 5 unless I start getting paid. :)

I love how my blog has gone from something that brings me joy to something that brings me unimaginable pain to something that allows me to come on every once in a while and do my "pop culture" thing or just rant.

I really only kept up all these years later for LOST and to prove to a few people that I am harder to break than they think.

But I hope you will be blogging in five years...you are such a great read and such a great person.

Let's definitely get together with Jess to meet baby Jack soon. :)

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home