Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Mintier










For those of you who stepped up to the Scrabble challenge, the third word EIINRTM was indeed MINTIER, but Cyndy still wins the Chautauqua mug because I checked today at class and TERMINI is acceptable.

We were on duty to cook tonight for our house of 7 people. Since we had brought zucchini from last week's CSA delivery, I put sauteed matchstick zucchini on the menu. A key I ingredient in our recipe, which we learned on our Amalfi Coast visit, is fresh mint.

I sent my husband off to the farmer's market to buy 2 quiches, fruit for a crisp, and mint. He came back with everything except the mint, but he had learned of a hidden patch of mint on the Chautauqua grounds. So after the morning lecture on "Nuclear Terrorism", we headed over to Bliss Street to search for the mint.

Seek and ye shall find! The mint made all the difference in the zucchini sauté.









I spent my practice hour after today's Scrabble class playing 4-hand Brahms Liebeslieder with 85-year-old Martha, the aunt of one of my housemates. Martha has difficulty remembering most everything, but she is a musical whiz who can sight-read anything and is infinitely patient with those of us who are less talented. She will ask me tomorrow if I know how to play the piano and I will invite her to play with me again.

We are soon off the the evening symphony concert with a talented young Russian pianist as the guest artist.

Maybe tomorrow I will finally get around to telling you about the incredible Scrabble class.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad


Location:Wythe Ave,Mayville,United States

5 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

I do so love your updates from "camp."

10:30 PM  
Blogger lacochran's evil twin said...

So glad you're having fun!

6:37 AM  
Blogger Pauline said...

it's like being there with you :)

Another thing made better by mint:
Lightly butter a few rounds of pita bread. Sprinkle with finely chopped mint. Put in the broiler for a minute or so until browned and crisp.

8:08 AM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

Mintier is a much better word than termini, more flavorful too!

12:28 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

It *is* like being with you at camp! I like these updates too! Glad you're enjoying yourself. :)

6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home