Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Scrabble at a new level










This is Miller, our Chautauqua street. I walk two blocks in this direction every afternoon to go to Scrabble class.

Each of the three classes so far has gone play-by-play through a game, where we are first playing from one rack and then from the opponent's rack. These are high-scoring games with scores approaching 500.

The emphasis is on parallel and overlapping play and knowing what to keep in your rack. We have also been introduced to some very obscure 2- and 3-letter words and a list of Q words that don't require a U. Have you ever heard of XI or AGA? What about QAT or QIS?

Here are the words played in today's game:

Frond
Dui
Gentler
Faltered
Uneasily
Waxed
Halo
Codeine
Kif
Cognac
Jabs
Lathering
Smokier (an anagrams of "irksome" the instructor told us as an aside)
Zyme
Deva
Wab
Quipu
Loan
Vis
Vat
Lay
Tip
Oot

Of course many of these contributed to make multiple words. Quite a few of these words were not previously in my vocabulary. Will I ever be able to come up with them again?

The interesting and somewhat maddening thing is that you are not required to know how to pronounce or define any word you play. But it must be in the Official Scrabble Dictionary.

I may not be a better Scrabble player after this week, but it is fun playing a very different game during class.







- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad


Location:Waugh Ave,Mayville,United States

7 Comments:

Blogger Pauline said...

There's a handy-dandy 2 and 3 letter word list available online that I use when playing a form of Scrabble with my daughter through FaceBook. We try hard to overlap and that becomes challenging. I like looking up the obscure words but doubt I'll use anything like wab or quipu in everyday conversation ;)

6:23 AM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

I would probably be horrible at scrabble because my vocabulary of 3 letter words is tiny relative to the apparent possibilities. Most of those words look like nonsense syllables to me. Is Eek a word? Eek!

1:26 PM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

Wait, "eek" is a word if I'd just spell it right, as in eke out a living.

1:32 PM  
Blogger bozoette said...

I knew about QI, QIS, XI, and QAT. XI is especially deadly on a TW score when you can get AX and OX out of it too! QUIPI, though, is new (NU?) to me -- I'm going to try hard to remember that one!

4:17 PM  
Blogger bozoette said...

And ZYME! That's a great one! It's always time for ZYME!

4:18 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

What a great way to spend a week! You rock, Barbara; though, I'm pretty sure a Scrabble game with you would scare me to death. I'm terrible! I never play for position but rather to find interesting words.

8:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for those 2- and 3-letter words! Cyndy, you crack me up: "eke," indeed!

F.

11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home