Monday, December 05, 2005

Blogger Badges

In my ecstacy about being featured on DC Blogs, I was talking to a veteran Blogger and I mentioned that this was like getting a superior merit badge as a Girl Scout. I wasn't surprised when she told me that she got EVERY badge as a Girl Scout, even the yucky sewing badge. What is it that makes us bask in all forms of recognition? To at least for a brief moment feel superior? This is coming from someone who has said all along that I was writing for myself, and not for an audience. But, guess what, I like to know that someone is reading what I write. I really love getting comments. I hope I can be resolute about not changing the way I write. I once heard Jonathan Foer (author of Everything Is Illuminated) speak. He said the biggest difference between his first and his second books was the fact that the first time he had no audience and the second time he kept finding himself thinking about what people had said about his first book. So what's the next Blogger merit badge?

6 Comments:

Blogger Washington Cube said...

The getting a blurb in the Washington Post's Express tech section merit badge.

11:40 PM  
Blogger DC Cookie said...

Getting featured on Larry King Live like Wonkette?

10:03 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Cube -- Who among DC Bloggers has been mentioned in the Washington Post's Express tech section?

Cookie -- Don't think I'm ready for "prime time". I still like the ability to delete and rewrite!That's the beauty of Blogging!

11:25 AM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

Many in the D.C. blogging community have been "blurbed." You'd have to do a shot out to get a head count.

I was...and wasn't blurbed. They chose a piece a friend of mine wrote which I had posted on my blog (I allow for friends to come on as "guest bloggers"), and he had written about seating areas for men in shops, based on his experience of sitting in the "man chair" in Chico's while his wife tried on clothes.

For the life of me, I can't figure out what criteria they use to single blog entries out, because some are truly bizzare.

12:04 PM  
Blogger Asian Mistress said...

Host a happy hour. :)

2:14 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

asianmistress -- I'm still trying to figure out the whole DC Blogs organization. Are there monthly social events? I'd appreciate any suggestions for how to make this happen!

10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home