Sunday, December 04, 2005

Can't You Just Slow this Ride Down -- Just a Little?

Do you ever feel like you’re on a fast-moving amusement park ride and you would like to slow it down just a little so you could enjoy it more? Maybe a roller coaster or even a gigantic Ferris wheel. That’s my life right now. It’s intense, it’s full of people I adore, I’m doing things all the time that make me happy – but I never get off the ride, it just continues to gather momentum.

OK, here’s an example. Last week when I was supposed to be taking it easy, recuperating from serious surgery the week before to remove my thyroid, I was out every night of the week – yoga class, dinner and class with a friend, book club and Blogger bash with a bunch of people who are turning out to be friends, dinner party for my husband and four friends with lots of champagne to celebrate my BENIGN pronouncement, dinner out with friends to celebrate a birthday, and finally playing music, dinner, and a concert with my wonderful friend and doctor Deborah. Oh yeah, add in about 15 hours of serious Blogging and a full-time job supervising 9 employees. I luxuriated in a massage today and my massage therapist pronounced me DEPLETED. Well, duh... I wonder why.

I often ask myself just what I was doing with my time before I was playing the piano and Blogging all the time. The answer is that I was in love with my job and worked a ton of overtime hours every week. I cooked gourmet meals. I kept my house really clean. I was room parent and swim team rep. The last two don’t apply any longer because my children are past that age. The others have all taken a backseat to my new-found activities and lots of friends that I write e-mail to and whose Blogs I read. I really have to say that I like my new life a lot more but I am perpetually tired because there is just not enough time left to sleep 8 hours a night.

It looks like I need to make some serious decisions about how best to use my time. Maybe I need to give myself a limit to the time I spend online every day. Maybe I need to learn to say NO when someone invites me to do something. I really don’t want to suffer Blogger burnout like some of the posts I read. Maybe I need a life coach to tell me how to spend my time. On the other hand, I have never been happier in my life, so maybe I just have to learn to get by on less sleep!

In any event, I think I’ll switch rides. I always liked the swings that gently keep you in motion but are more like flying than being hurled through space.

Any ideas?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home