Sunday, August 29, 2010

What next?


I think I must be mildly depressed because I am sleeping a lot.  All of a sudden I need a greater purpose in life and one is not forthcoming.
It suddenly hit me last night when a woman who just turned 70 asked me what I was doing with myself in retirement.  I trotted out the usual litany of playing music with people, reading the the shelter kids, doing yoga, Blogging and then I realized there was a big void.
I’ve gotten the house to the point where I no longer need to be researching things like painters or packing up boxes.  I seem to have relegated care of the yard to Mr. Sotha and his team of immigrants.
And there are no more trips on the immediate horizon.  So that translates into a lot of reading time.  Or it could be exercise time.  Or...
Ever since I retired I have thought about doing something more substantial, but have never really pursued finding that something.  
I had a dream last night that perhaps illustrates the role I would like to play.  I was in charge of my old office staff.  They seemed to all be involved in a football game while I was making them new jerseys.  Go figure!
I don’t particularly care if I get paid, but I know for a fact that I don’t want to do the typical volunteer jobs of answering the phone or stuffing envelopes.  Instead I would like to do something that allows me to plan, manage, organize -- the things I’m good at.  It would be great if it involved animals, or at least people.  Ideally my efforts would improve the world in some way.  How’s that for dreaming?
Got any ideas?

12 Comments:

Blogger Merle Sneed said...

I have a friend who is very creative and is constantly thinking of things he can make and sell on eBay. Perhaps you can create something that would be attractive to others. If the volunteer aspect is important, the proceeds could go to charity.

11:37 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Merle -- Every time I have tried selling things I make, I start liking the making process less and less. Someone just commented that I should market the quilted pouch I made for my iPad or the sandbags I made for my yoga practice. But the thought of making 10 or 50 or 100 of those just doesn't appeal to me. I'm much more into one-of-a-kind handcrafts that are mostly lovingly given as gifts.

12:31 PM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

How about volunteering in the costume department for a community theater?

1:23 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Cyndy -- That actually sounds like lots of fun. I love making costumes.

1:44 PM  
Anonymous lr said...

How about doing all the things you listed in today's blog that you would like to include in this new project and organize a group of people who need jobs and would enjoy making the aforementioned iPad pouches or yoga sandbags etc.?

3:44 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

LR -- I think I'm just not into production mode any longer, even if I am the supervisor! One of a kind costumes may be more my speed.

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Huck said...

You might be really good with OAR in Arlington! Its a great organization that needs great folks. I am starting to volunteer there this fall.

7:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just as the various circuits of a labyrinth keep bringing you around to a similar spot, you reach it on a different path each time and see it differently. You've been here before. It sounds like you're thinking about it more specifically this time around...you go, Barbara!!

F.

9:13 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Huck -- Would your OAR be "Offender Aid and Restoration" or "Organization for Autism Research"?

Anon F -- Yes, I seem to have been at this same place a few times before. Maybe this time I will really do something about it or maybe not.

10:50 PM  
Blogger KellyB said...

I know how much you care about the kiddos you read to at the the center. Perhaps you could make some Halloween costumes for trick or treat... (not too early to start) or maybe help put together a "dress up" box at the center... and keep adding to it. You know how much wearing costumes encourages language (you could bring additions that center around the book that you are reading that week). If you like the idea of selling one-of-a-kind items, you might look into Etsy.com (I have found some terrific one-of-a-kind items there.)

Just a thought, you had a harrowing, long journey, it's not unusual for one's body to ask for some downtime after a long trip to a warm climate.

3:01 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kellyann -- I had actually thought about making Halloween costumes, something I've always loved to do.

And yes, I think the adjustment from being exotically busy to the routines of real life is largely responsible for my change in mood.

Thanks for your insightful ideas as always.

7:11 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Yeah, Kelly hit on what I was going to say, too -- I'm sure this has to do with post-vacation blues. Give yourself some time to settle back into your daily life and then see where you stand!

8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home