Thursday, August 26, 2010

Walking


You may have noticed I didn’t mention any difficulty in getting around on the trip.  That’s because I really didn’t have any to speak of.  Sometimes people walked slower than usual or waited for me to catch up, but walking was not a problem.  Sometimes I chose not to take a strenuous hike and just sat and read while the others explored. 
I did take my cool cane (neon blue with kiwi stripes) along just because I knew there would be a lot of walking and uneven surfaces can be a problem for stability.  So I hauled it in and out of public transportation, never once leaving it behind.  It was a godsend.  It also had a practical use in rescuing David's shirt from the monkey who was trying to steal it at Erawan Park.
People just naturally have a soft spot for someone with a cane, or so it seems.  On a several occasions I was offered the VIP line for first class/pregnant/disabled people -- the line that is infinitely shorter than the other one for all the regular people.  Sometimes I took the offer, other times I chose to wait with everyone else.
So I’m now back home working with my PT Jennifer on how to strengthen those weak muscles and alter my gait process so perhaps on my next trip the cool cane can stay at home.
It turns out I really don’t like feeling like an invalid or someone who needs special treatment.  There may be a time in my life when I will be more accepting of that status, but it’s not yet.

2 Comments:

Blogger Steve Reed said...

That IS a cool cane, though! :)

5:45 AM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

I agree with Steve.

10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home