Friday, August 27, 2010

Exotic Fruit

Fruit is probably my favorite part of eating.  There are not many types I don’t like.
While in Thailand, I greatly missed grapefruit and oranges.  But instead there were so many varieties of fruit that we never see here.  Like
Rambutan
Mangosteen
and Longan
It made me wonder why we don’t grow these fruits here in the US, where we must have an appropriate climate.  If I like mangosteens so much, I’m sure others would also like them.
But instead most every market here has the same dozen or so varieties of fruit.
I was encouraged to see a kefir lime tree for sale in the local Thai market (Duangrat).  But nowhere have I found the other exotic fruits I grew to love while in Thailand.  Maybe they are available in California, the state of fruits and vegetables.

4 Comments:

Blogger Terry Grant said...

I have thought the same thing when we have discovered wonderful fruits in South America. Tree tomatoes and granadillos and naranjillos and more. Our American fruit experience is pretty limited!

9:11 PM  
Blogger e said...

It sounds like you had a great trip. The new cover is smashing.

12:40 AM  
Blogger lacochran's evil twin said...

Honest Tea makes a juice with mangosteen. It's pretty tasty.

8:32 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Did you try a jackfruit? I hear they're an acquired taste but I think they're popular in southeast Asia.

Dave had a bottle of Xango mangosteen juice hanging around the house for months and months -- something a friend gave him. I tasted it but I think it was beyond its prime, so I threw it out.

8:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home