Thursday, September 02, 2010

Little Bird



What could be sadder than a dead little bird?  This one had obviously tried to fly through our glass back door.

I looked out to see the little bird lying lifeless on the deck.  I mentioned its presence so Jake was not accidentally allowed to go on the deck.  And then I went downstairs to exercise, waiting to see if the little bird miraculously ended up in the trash can.
I could hear my husband checking with animal control to find out how to dispose of a dead bird.  It was when he started up the basement stairs with a shovel and a rake that I offered to take over after my workout.

When I picked the little bird up with a paper towel his body was still slightly warm and his head was flopping around.  His black eyes were fixed, letting me know revival was not in the cards.
One of my husband’s concerns was that the little bird would stink up our trash can.  How could anything that small even compete with the rotten lemon that was also in that trash can?
He is safely laid to rest in a quart Ziplock with a paper towel for a pillow to await next week’s trash collection.

But how very sad that his life was snuffed out by a piece of glass that seemed an open window to him.

5 Comments:

Blogger Pauline said...

Poor little thing! Glad you gave him a comfortable final resting place though why did you not just bury him?

8:38 PM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

Yikes.

9:17 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Pauline -- I'm embarrassed to say it never occurred to me to bury the little bird, which was more likely a she than a he because of the muted colors.

Merle -- My sentiments exactly!

9:54 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

Ah, poor thing. This summer we have had two dead birds in the backyard although we didn't find them until they were feathers and bone. And we did find a nest with an egg in it that seemed to be abandoned. Somehow that seemed more upsetting.

11:55 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Awww, poor thing. We have a big picture window in the house where I grew up, and birds flew into it regularly when I was little. My mom took to keeping the drapes closed, which defeats the purpose of the picture window but saves lots of birds!

6:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home